Monday, November 26, 2012

The Effects of Binaural Beats on Health and Wellbeing


Binaural beats have many uses for them, as I have previously outlined. My intended use is to help me sleep at night and stay asleep. Everyone knows that an adequate amount of sleep equals better health. Better health can include anything from less stress to better blood pressure. Better sleep can lead to better decision making, as noted in the article titled, ‘If You Snooze, You Don’t Lose.’ in Money magazine, “Contemplating a big purchase or investing decision? Not only does lack of adequate sleep impair decision-making, but neuroscientists at Duke University recently found that sleep deprivation changes the way your brain assesses economic value, making you more likely to take risks. (Mangla, 2012). The same article says to “create a sleep routine.” (Mangla, 2012). The routine that I have created is that I get my stuff ready for the next day, clothes, school stuff, work stuff, etc. Then I get my clothes out that I am wearing for the night. Then I take a hot shower, because “when your temperature falls afterward, your body releases the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin.” (Mangla, 2012). This way, my body is already getting ready for sleep, then I get into bed and turn the app on and within the next thirty minutes or so, I am soundly asleep. And the best part of it is that the sound keeps going all night or as long as my battery permits it to, so I stay asleep. And more importantly, I never go to bed less than 8 hours before. What I mean by this is that I get into bed at least eight hours before I am supposed to wake up. This gives me an hour or so to get situated or get to relaxing. The common thing is that we ALL need eight hours of sleep. This is the recommended amount, however, everyone is different. I only need seven hours to function at my fullest capacity.

Citations
Mangla, I. S. (2012, April). If You Snooze, You Don't Lose. Money, pp. 51-52.

No comments: